Sunday 9 September 2012

The Calm before the Storm

Less than 24 hours from now I will be on a plane to the USA. I thought this would be the perfect time to start a blog, those hours before you leave when the time seems to just drag. This blog will be the canvas for my thoughts on my year abroad at the University of Oregon where hopefully I will learn a heck of a lot as well as have a bit of fun on the side. I have never written a blog before, so I hope for those who spare a few minutes to read this will be entertained and I hope I can include some attempt at humour.

 Because the planning, organisation (and never ending stream of health forms) keep you occupied until you leave the country, the moment of reality hits you like a brick wall. Packing my suitcase seemed more like a hallucination (even more so after the 4th time of re-packing to try and keep the weight within the limit!).  I have learnt not to take the American view of weather too literally. What maybe 'cool' to the common American may in fact be 20 degrees (centigrade) to us Brits which is often when people will rush outside and spark up the BBQ.  So imagine my surprise when the city of Eugene, which is my destination and described as wet and cold, had temperatures forecast in the mid 80s (20-30 degrees centigrade) up until the end of September! After re-packing I have hopefully now achieved a balance of summer and winter clothing (but hey, you're going to America, there is certainly no lack of clothes!)

Looking ahead, I am anxious about moving into the campus accommodation, especially seen as I am technically an international student. I will arrive before the 'locals' although my roommate may be there at the same time as she is flying in from China. This is two experiences for the price of one, living in a new country and having a roommate from an altogether different culture. It will be interesting. I still can't get my head around the label of 'international'. I know there will be differences, and I know it won't all be plain sailing, but surely Americans and Brits have more in common than most? I may have to eat my own words in the future but we shall see.

Classes will be interesting, I became completely lost trying to find courses on Oregon's website so I hope things will become more clear when I get there but I am looking forward to trying something new, interesting, and maybe a little different. Finding a dissertation topic is the main goal of this semester, and I hope inspiration strikes before December!

I had my last alcoholic beverage today, well maybe not my last but I am preparing for the worst. After completing a non-optional online course on the dangers of alcohol it not only scared the living daylights out of me but also programmed me to now believe that all American guys are out there to get me drunk and sexually assault or rape me (Obviously I don't believe that they are like this at all but the program was quite insistent on the assumption!). They really are extreme in the US and they certainly couldn't have done more to convince you that alcohol is just bad,bad,bad. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the college students react once term starts and it will be strange having to sneak around for alcohol at the age of 20 when we are used to booze being the foundation of your fresher experience!

So this is my send off from the UK. The next post will be from the glorious green state of Oregon with probable comments on the international orientation designed to prepare us for the culture shock of the states.

Have a Great Day! (just practising my cheery disposition)
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment